They Should Be Natural. It’s Not a Glamour Shot!
Headshots should look like you.
They should look like you on your best day, a day you feel beautiful and confident. They should not look like you’ve just stepped off the stage of an extreme makeover.
We do provide basic retouching to fix small and temporary flaws, but it’s important to keep it real and authentic, so you are easy to recognize.
How To Prepare For Your Headshot Photo Shoot
1. We love meeting new clients in Louisville and it shows. We start by taking the time to get to know you by discussing who you are personally and professionally. We talk about what you’d like your headshot photography to convey, where you plan to use it, and share your story.
2. Next, it’s time to choose your look. We recommend choosing a look that is most recognizable to you. You should look nice, but not overdone. Do you normally wear golf shirts and slacks? Then don’t show up in a tux. Wear something that makes you look comfortable, confident, and attractive. Still not sure what to wear? Keep reading below.
3. Prepare beforehand by giving yourself a little TLC. Start with a haircut, eyebrow wax, and maybe a little tanning (give it plenty of time to settle in before the photo shoot). Starting about 72 hours beforehand, it’s time to increase your water intake, reduce alcohol, stay out of the sun, and moisturize. This will make sure your skin looks its best.
4. Get plenty of sleep the night before. No one wants a headshot with tired bags under their eyes.
What Should I Wear for My Photo Shoot?
Headshots are actually a misnomer because the photos show a lot more than your shoulders. Wider shots can be waist-up or full-length, so it’s important to look your best. So what to wear? The truth is, it’s up to you – but we do have a few tips to help you know what will work best.
• Think about your goal. Are you trying to start a business, build a brand, get a job? Dress the part. What would you wear to an important business meeting, an audition, or a presentation? That’s a good place to start.
• What is your favorite outfit? Maybe you love your cowboy boots or your leather jacket. Start there. You want to express yourself as you actually are, not as someone you are trying to be.
• Don’t wear anything new. Photo shoot day is the wrong day to decide that cute top is itchy and your pants are too tight. Wear clothing that you know and love so that you are comfortable. If you want to buy new clothes for your photo shoot, give them a test run first and go to lunch with friends in your new digs to be sure they look and feel great.
• Choose colors that work with your skin tone. What looks best? Think about what outfits tend to get you compliments from friends and family. Generally, if you have medium to dark skin, go for a contrasting color. If you have fair skin and blue eyes, look for something in the blue, pinks, or gray family. If you’re not sure what you look good in, take a girlfriend shopping and try on a bunch of different options.
• Don’t let your clothes do the talking. Avoid brand name logos, loud patterns, or distracting styles. We want the focus to be on you. You’re the star of the show today!
Hair and Makeup
We always recommend professional makeup for professional headshots. Why? Because applying makeup for photo shoots with studio lights or outdoor lighting is completely different than doing your makeup every other day of the week.
Bring a picture of yourself on a normal day so the makeup artist can match their skills to your everyday look. Photography generally requires a little more makeup than everyday wear, but professional artists know how to keep it fresh, polished, and natural.
Corporate Headshot Booth
For companies with locations across the country, getting employees together for cohesive headshot photography can be challenging. We offer corporate headshot services at company events in Louisville to provide consistent and professional business portraits for use in marketing materials, company websites, social media, directories, LinkedIn, etc.
If you’re already using corporate photography for your event, adding headshots into the package can save you both time and money. Headshots also give you the opportunity to say thank you to your team for their hard work. Giving them a great looking photo is a huge morale booster.
Whether you’re looking for a new headshot to promote yourself, your company, or your employees, we can help. Give us a call today to get started planning your next photo shoot!