For a lot of people, including myself, getting your picture taken can be vulnerable and stressful. Cameras have this incredible ability to bring out our harshest self-critics. You’d be shocked by the frequency with which I hear, “I am the least photogenic person ever.” And still, after 20 years of experience, I have yet to meet an unphotogenic person.
With our headshot photography in Louisville, KY, we are going to have fun finding your best angles, highlighting your favorite features, and showing off who you are. I will coach you through a number of poses and give you feedback throughout the whole process. So quiet that inner hater and get ready to take some awesome headshots.
Actors and models live and die by their headshots, but they aren’t the only ones who should have always a current professional headshot.
Whether you’re an administrative assistant in Louisville, KY or the president of the United States, having a business headshot presents your face to the world to show your competence and confidence.
Today’s consumers depend on an online presence. Whether it’s your website, your social media, or online reviews, you should be portraying the best version of yourself.
Professional headshot photography increases the likability of business listings and social media landing pages. You are the face of your own company, and your visual brand is more important than ever before.
Getting a great headshot is about looking and feeling your best. It’s about getting a picture that portrays not just what you look like, but who you are – and that’s where an experienced photographer comes in.
What is a Headshot?
It’s all about you!
You are as unique as your fingerprint, and we convey that through the perfect photo. A basic headshot is often a photo of one person from the waist up, but not always. A full body picture can make a beautiful headshot photo, too.
We love to learn about you and emphasize your strengths through photos without any other people or props. The backgrounds for headshots are kept simple so the focus can be on you.
Maybe you have a commanding presence, a quiet confidence, a great sense of humor, or a twinkle in your eye; great headshot photography shows what sets you apart from everyone else.
They Should Be Natural. It’s Not a Glamour Shot!
Headshots should look like you.
They should look like you on your best day, a day you feel beautiful and confident. They should not look like you’ve just stepped off the stage of an extreme makeover.
We do provide basic retouching to fix small and temporary flaws at our studio in Louisville, KY, but it’s important to keep it real and authentic, so you are easy to recognize.
How To Prepare For Your Headshot Photo Shoot
1. We love meeting new clients in Louisville, KY and it shows. We start by taking the time to get to know you by discussing who you are personally and professionally. We talk about what you’d like your headshot photography to convey, where you plan to use it, and share your story.
2. Next, it’s time to choose your look. We recommend choosing a look that is most recognizable to you. You should look nice, but not overdone. Do you normally wear golf shirts and slacks? Then don’t show up in a tux. Wear something that makes you look comfortable, confident, and attractive. Still not sure what to wear? Keep reading below.
3. Prepare beforehand by giving yourself a little TLC. Start with a haircut, eyebrow wax, and maybe a little tanning (give it plenty of time to settle in before the photo shoot). Starting about 72 hours beforehand, it’s time to increase your water intake, reduce alcohol, stay out of the sun, and moisturize. This will make sure your skin looks its best.
4. Get plenty of sleep the night before. No one wants a headshot with tired bags under their eyes.
What Should I Wear for My Photo Shoot?
Headshots are actually a misnomer because the photos show a lot more than your shoulders. Wider shots can be waist-up or full-length, so it’s important to look your best. So what to wear? The truth is, it’s up to you – but we do have a few tips to help you know what will work best for your headshot photography session.
We will take a couple different shots – in different outfits – so you’ll have a series to choose from. It’s important that your look matches the image you’re trying to convey. What you wear on a daily basis is a great place to start.
We will go over what kind of look your going for before your shoot, but here are some pointers for you:
• Think about your goal. Are you trying to start a business, build a brand, get a job? Dress the part. What would you wear to an important business meeting, an audition, or a presentation? That’s a good place to start.
• What is your favorite outfit? Maybe you love your cowboy boots or your leather jacket. Start there. You want to express yourself as you actually are, not as someone you are trying to be.
• Bring unique articles of clothing. Jackets, scarves and jewelry are great to add some color and character to your headshots.
• Don’t wear anything new. Photo shoot day is the wrong day to decide that cute top is itchy and your pants are too tight. Wear clothing that you know and love so that you are comfortable. If you want to buy new clothes for your photo shoot, give them a test run first and go to lunch with friends in your new digs to be sure they look and feel great.
• Make sure to dress comfortable but classy, v-neck and u-neck sweaters and shirts are great. Collared button down shirts are great, a solid color with a crisp-clean white shirt underneath for the men and a stylish solid color for women. For women tank-tops are always good, stay away from clothes that are too tight or uncomfortable.
• Make sure any clothes that you bring are clean and neatly pressed. This goes double for collared shirts and suits.
• Choose colors that work with your skin tone. What looks best? Think about what outfits tend to get you compliments from friends and family. Generally, if you have medium to dark skin, go for a contrasting color. If you have fair skin and blue eyes, look for something in the blue, pinks, or gray family. If you’re not sure what you look good in, take a girlfriend shopping and try on a bunch of different options.
• Don’t let your clothes do the talking. Avoid brand name logos, loud patterns, or distracting styles. We want the focus to be on you. You’re the star of the show today!
Also for women, bring an undershirt or camisole. It saves time to be able to change comfortably in the studio. This way you get as many different looks as possible during your session. Or if you prefer, there will be bathroom for changing needs.
Best Hair and Makeup for Headshots
Hair and makeup are NOT included in the headshot. We always highly recommend professional hair and makeup for headshot photography. Why? Because applying makeup for photo shoots with studio lights or outdoor lighting is completely different than doing your makeup every other day of the week.
Our cameras capture everything. Yes, we will help with acne and bags under your eyes in post productions but we DO NOT retouch makeup onto you! Your headshot needs to look like you on your best day! A professional makeup artist knows how to make you look your best for the camera.
Bring a picture of yourself on a normal day so the makeup artist can match their skills to your everyday look. Headshot photography generally requires a little more makeup than everyday wear, but professional artists know how to keep it fresh, polished, and natural.
Who do you recommend for Hair and Makeup?
If you don’t have a hair and makeup artist who you use, here are a few artists that we work with regularly and highly recommend. You can contact them directly to set up your appointment and work out payments.
What else should I do to prepare for my headshot session?
Think of this as a good reason to pamper yourself! Schedule a haircut or blowout before your session. Get a facial, nails, new outfit, teeth whitening ect. anything that makes you feel your best! Definitely drink plenty of water and get lots of rest before your photo.
We recommend getting a facial about 4 days before your session. Your face is everything (these are headshots) take care of your face and it will take care of you.
What happens if I need to reschedule or cancel?
If you need to cancel, know that your payment can go towards a future session, but there are no refunds. You may receive 1 complimentary reschedule at no cost.
How long does it take to get my images back?
We will do immediate proofing in the studio, so you will select your favorite images right after the session. Please give us three business days to send your gallery. You will be able to download the images directly to your desktop and use for promotional use. Please DOWNLOAD and SAVE your images to your computer. We also recommend saving them in a second location as a backup.
We would LOVE if you gave us a shoutout if you do use them on Facebook or Instagram.
How much retouching do you do?
We do the minimal amount of retouching to our images (color correction, sharpness, and cropping). We do remove some blemishes and draw attention to certain parts of the image by lightening and darkening. It is important for you to look natural, and too much retouching can give you an artificial look.
Corporate Headshot Booth
For companies with locations across the country, getting employees together for cohesive headshot photography can be challenging. We offer corporate headshot services at company events in Louisville, KY to provide consistent and professional business portraits for use in marketing materials, company websites, social media, directories, LinkedIn, etc.
If you’re already using corporate photography for your event, adding headshot photography into the package can save you both time and money. Headshots also give you the opportunity to say thank you to your team for their hard work. Giving them a great looking photo is a huge morale booster.
Remember to have fun! A relaxed, comfortable subject naturally exudes confidence.
Whether you’re looking for a new headshot to promote yourself, your company, or your employees, we can help. Give us a call today to get started planning your next photo shoot!